UPTOWN GIRL BLOGS
FIVE TIPS FOR KEEPING YOUR SKIN LOOKING RADIANT DURING THE BITTER COLD MONTHS
Have you ever noticed how your skin responds to the changing seasons? Your skin often seems to get drier and flakier in colder winter months. What can we do to fix it?
A combination of cold air, dry indoor heat, low humidity, and bitter winter wind can all deprive your skin of moisture. This can leave your skin looking a lot less radiant than normal, and also leave other areas of your body feeling dry and uncomfortable.
There are FIVE STEPS you can take to keep your skin looking healthy and feeling its best:
1. HYDRATE FROM WITHIN. One of the most important things you can do is stay hydrated and drink water. When you’re thirsty, your skin is thirsty too.
2. AVOID HOT BATHS AND SHOWERS. Hot water can strip your skin of its natural oils that help seal in moisture. Try using a lower temperature to ensure your skin stays its healthiest.
3. MOISTURIZE IMMEDIATELY AFTER WASHING. When you wash, you’ll lose some of your natural oils so it’s important to replace them right away. You don’t have to use the flashiest or most expensive lotion. Find one you like and be consistent!
4. USE OVERNIGHT TREATMENTS. Emollients are a heavier type of cream and take a lot longer to be absorbed into your skin. Applying an emollient on top of your usual nighttime moisturizer cream will seal it in and slowly add more moisture throughout the night. Examples of emollients are Aquaphor, Aveeno Daily Emollient, and CeraVe Moisturizing Cream.
5. REDUCE EXFOLIANTS. You may feel the desire to exfoliate more in the winter to get rid of flaky skin, but it’s easier to overdo it during wintertime. Try using a lower dose chemical exfoliant rather than more harsh scrubs during the winter months.
BONUS! If you’re really struggling, book an appointment to get a facial with Hannah. She is really amazing and can give you a jumpstart on glowing skin!