UPTOWN GIRL BLOGS
GIVE YOUR CLOTHING SOME TLC
You love your clothes, but how can you treat them with care and make them last longer?
When you love your clothes and spend good money on them, it's important to take good care of them so they hold up and last a long time. Here are SIX TIPS on to give them the tender, loving care they deserve:
1. REMOVE STAINS ASAP - The longer a stain sits on your clothing, the harder it is to remove. Use a stain remover pen or a vinegar/baking soda mixture, let it sit on the stain, and then put it in the wash once the stain fades.
2. USE COOL WATER TO WASH YOUR CLOTHES - They say that heat is bad for your hair and it's bad for your clothing too. High temperatures can damage the fabric.
3. DON'T IGNORE CARE LABELS - The best way to find out how to care for a specific garment is to look at the care label. Avoid shrinkage, discoloration, and wear and tear by following the care instructions.
4. STORE YOUR CLOTHING CORRECTLY - Don't hang up sweaters; folding them will help maintain their shape. Use wooden or felt hangers to keep tops in their place to avoid stretching.
5. RETHINK HOW OFTEN YOU MUST WASH YOUR CLOTHES - Unfortunately machine washing and drying does more damage to our clothing than actually wearing them. If you can, wear your jeans and sweaters a couple times before washing them. If you wear a blouse just a couple hours for a dinner, hang it back up to be worn another time before cleaning.
6. AIR DRY IF POSSIBLE - Heat from the dryer damages the elastics and thread on your clothing. Heat also shrinks your clothing and the constant shrinking and re-stretching over time can really wear out your clothing. Hanging your clothing or laying them flat to dry can lengthen the lifespan of your clothes.